Can dogs eat grapes?

Grape season is here! Whilst grapes are a delicious fruit for us humans, it is not something to feed your dog. The answer to "Can dog eat grapes?" is short and simple: no, because the danger is real.

Why can't dogs eat grapes?

Grapes (and raisins) are extremely toxic to dogs, even though the exact substance in the fruit triggering a reaction has yet to be confirmed.

Therefore, all sorts of grapes and raisins, even peeled and seedless grapes must be kept away from your pooch.

Is this for every breed?

Yes, a dog can badly react to grapes regardless of their breed, age and sex.

Can a single grape be fatal?

Sadly, it only takes one tiny piece of fruit to cause sudden kidney failure and death. 

What are the signs of toxic ingestion?

The most common symptoms are:

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhoea
  • Tender abdomen
  • Panting
  • Extreme thirst
  • Change in urine production: either more, less or none

What to do if your dog ate grapes?

If your dog accidentally ate grapes, contact an emergency vet service as soon as possible. They might guide you to induce vomiting if your dog is conscious and breathing fine.

Want to know which fruit your dog can and cannot snack on? Head over to this blog post!