Can dogs eat peanut butter? They seem to love it and want to lick the spoon, but is it really safe for them? The answer is, it depends!
Can dogs eat peanut butter safely?
Peanut butter is, in general, safe for dogs to eat in moderation. It's a great source of protein, healthy fats as well as vitamins. Unsalted peanut butter is better for your dog as high sodium levels can cause health issues.
However, it's important for dog owners to read the labels some jars contain an ingredient that is extremely dangerous for dogs. Plus, peanut butter might not be recommended for your dog's health.
Potential risks of peanut butter for dogs
Quite a few brands add this artificial sweetener to their peanut butter recipe. It may be completely harmless for us humans but it's very toxic to dogs. Xylitol makes dogs' insulin rise which causes a reaction called hypoglycaemia: a rapid decrease in blood sugar levels which occurs up to 60 minutes after ingesting Xylitol and can be deadly. The symptoms range from collapse to lack of coordination and seizures.
We recommend always reading the label on the jar and of course, avoid feeding your dog peanut butter if this ingredient is mentioned.
Very few dogs are allergic to peanuts but it can still happen and cause an anaphylactic shock which is also deadly. The first symptom showing is often facial swelling and skin reactions. If your dog start developing these symptoms shortly after eating peanut butter, seek urgent care.
Peanut butter is a calorie-dense food which often contains added sugars. It is recommended to avoid feeding overweight dogs peanut butter and opt for healthier treats.
The bottom line
Can your dog eat peanut butter? As long as it doesn't contain Xylitol and your dog has a healthy weight and no nut allergy, you can let them lick the spoon.
Treats should only represent a maximum of 10% of your pooch's daily calories to maintain an optimal balance.
Choose all-natural, unsalted peanut butter that is only made of peanuts and let them enjoy a tiny amount!